Friday, April 22, 2005

It's Oh So Quiet

I'm at my parent's home in Silver Spring, Maryland. It's so quiet here in the suburbs I feel like I've gone deaf. It's also cold--52 degree, or 11 C--and raining.

It was 28 hours of remarkably smooth travel. I flew from Mumbai to New York, then took a connecting shuttle to DC. I had scheduled the connecting flight four hours later than my arrival time, but I was through customs and had my bag within minutes of disembarking. Another American I met on the flight marveled at how clean JFK airport was. "You could eat off this floor!" we exclaimed.

On the shuttle bus to La Guardia, I stared, bleary-eyed, out the window at near empty streets and shining new cars. The other passengers had proper luggage, designer bags, big silver watches, leather brief cases. Queens looked glamourous. This is a rich country.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home